Pages

Friday, June 14, 2019

Bunion Surgery~Before and After

Both of my great grandfathers had bunions. I remember one of them cutting his brand new leather boots so that the bunion would not hurt so bad. Bunions are hereditary. I had two not just one.  I have hated my feet for years. I would not wear those cute sandals everyone else wore. I wanted to, but just couldn't. I got into running over a year ago and that's when my back, hips, and other things got to hurting. I thought it was just me running, but come to find out it was my feet throwing everything else out.

My left foot was 16 degrees off. In other words it was severe. The doctor could not believe I was still running. I finally decided to have the left foot done on May 23rd, 2019.  I had outpatient surgery. It took 3 hrs to do.

 I had a small plate put on the outside of my foot, so that I could contine to run. I had a nerve block which was so great. I did not have to take any pain meds for 2 days afterwards. Only thing is you can't weight bear for several weeks. I go back the 19th of June to remove the cast and replace that with a boot for a couple of weeks. I go back July 12th to get the boot off. We shall see.

Next phase will be weight bearing and not sure as of yet how that will go. It's been quite a journey with this surgery. I haven't driven in 6 weeks. That is a record for me. I have always drove. So, I have had to die to what I loved to do the most.

Bunions do not get better and even if you don't run it will still keep going the way it's going. If you look at the picture six years ago and look at it on surgery day you can see a big shift. You don't just have bunion surgery to have it. You have it when it starts affecting your everyday life. Then it's time to get it. I don't regret it at all.



No comments: